Tuesday 21 October 2008

The return of the Dungeon Master

I do remember very clearly some of my first games on my AT 286 and from the very beginning, there was one genre that stuck with me the most. I spent hours upon hours playing the likes of Nethack, Dungeon Master, Zork, Ultima, Bard's Tale, etc.

Having not long ago bought a Kohjinsha and discovering the joys of actually being able to fit my laptop in the little train trays to do a bit of work here and there i thought it'd be a great idea to get some old games since the Kohjinsha doesnt have the power to run anything particularly new.

I though first I'd give a try at getting some old school Amiga games and I found what seemed like a legal download site  http://www.amigaforever.com/. They have an iso that allows you to boot an environment where you can use the old Amiga Workbench together with other preinstalled games. Sadly though, the Kohjinsha's processing power isnt enough to run this (already slow) emulator.

It's quite depressing that such a modern piece of hardware can't run stuff from 10 years ago. Next thing to try now though is to get some "Abandonware" on it and see how it performs. I'll be trying CSBWin or "Chaos Strikes Back" for Windows, this is an emulator of sort that runs the old Dungeon Master with much lower requirements than the Amiga emulator. This version only includes the original Dungeon Master but you can also download the more hardcore Chaos Strikes Back and versions for other platforms such as Linux and Mac.
The site looks perfectly legal, http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/851. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment