Monday 28 July 2008

Troubleshotting port related errors on Windows

I was trying to install wamp on my relatively new Kohjinsha SA5. I thought that the portability of the machine was great for coding on the train and testing some stuff I've been trying to do for a while, namely, write a facebook app and take a look at the android platform. I kept running into an error message saying that apache couldnt bind to its listening port, which cleary means that there is something else using it. How to find out what applications are running and what ports they are using? Enter "PortReporter", a free app you can download from Microsoft's website. It installs itself as a service and outputs a log file to C:\windows\system32\portreporter.

You can download it from here.

Once you find out which app is causing trouble, close it down, disable it or uninstall it and restart the apache service.

No comments:

Post a Comment